So, tomorrow is our first day of preschool and I have been looking everywhere for the perfect backpack for Zdena Grace. My mom keeps telling me "it's not a big deal, just send her to school with a bag, and give yourself more time to find something that you like". What, NOT A BIG DEAL?! This is my little sweethearts first day of preschool, I know it is only preschool, but IT'S PRESCHOOL. I finally asked her would you have done that if it was my first day of preschool, and this is the kicker, she replied in a very quiet and sweet, no. I think that she was just getting tired of me talking about nothing but finding a backpack for Gracie.
We did find a small green backpack that Gracie picked out at Target earlier in the week but I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to make it into the perfect backpack and was afraid that if I tried, I would be out the money I paid for the bag, plus the time and money to try to make it into something I didn't think it could be.
So for the last 3 days I have been dragging Gracie to every store that I could think of that might have something, but yesterday was the last straw. We drove over to a cute little shop, Apple of My Eye to see what they had. I'm sure the sales people were talking about us after we left. I am standing in the store (a very small store - there was not much room to move and if someone wanted to get past you, you had to levitate) with a two year old and about 3 different bags that I picked asking her which she liked. Well she wouldn't tell me, so after 30 minutes (yes, I tried for 30 minutes) of "Gracie which backpack do you want?", "Zdena Grace get over here and pick out your backpack for school?", "Gracie, if you don't pick out a backpack then you’re not going to have one for school?" So after 30 minutes, I was done, she was tired and ready for a nap and just wanted to get out of there. But here is the best part, after the 30 minutes of asking Grace which bag she wanted, I now find out that they only have one style available, the ones that I was showing her were samples (they were already personalized), I had assumed they had more in the back. So I bought the one that they had and we went home.
So when we got home, I asked her which backpack she wanted, showing her both the one that we had just purchased and the green backpack from Target, and she says with a very big smile "green backpack!" So now I have wasted 3 days driving around trying to find a backpack, the perfect backpack and she wants the one we already have.
While she naps, I run to Michael’s with green backpack in hand to see if I can find anything to jazz it up. I found quite a bit of different things, ribbons, rhinestones, iron-on patches, d-rings (my mom said to make sure that whichever backpack I found had lots of places to hang those zipper pull charms), and hooks.
When I get home I got to work, trying to design something for this backpack that will suite my little princess, without making it look homemade or over the top.
So in the end I kept it simple and she seems to be very happy with it. I am going to bed now, as tomorrow, I'm sure, will be a long, long day.

No comments:
Post a Comment